The gearbox is an essential part of ensuring that a machine works properly. One of the biggest problems with this component of a bigger machine is overheating. If an Excipial gearbox in North Branford overheats, it is not the end of the world. The fact is overheating is an issue that can be easily corrected. The key is to recognizing there is a problem. Being aware of the biggest signs of this problem will help you know when you should take action or call in the professionals for help.
Signs of Overheating in the Gearbox
There are quite a few signs that the gearbox may be overheating, with the most common signs being:
- Smoke coming from the breathers, seals or shafts
- Discoloration or paint that is burnt on the housings
- Water that is sprayed on the shafts or the housing will evaporate quickly, crackles or boils
- Unpainted surfaces show up temper colors
- Shipping plugs, or other plastic components are melted
- Low oil present on the dipstick or through the sight glass
- Darker than normal oil on the dipstick or in the sight glass
- Foam in the sight glass
- Water present in the sight glass or sludge present on the filter element
- The presence of metal chips on filters, chip detectors or magnetic plugs
How to Inspect the Gearbox
If you need to inspect the gearbox for your machine, then you should use the following tips:
- A visual walk around the machine
- Inspect the gearbox through the inspection ports
- Measure the temperature
- Measure the oil pressure
- Measure the vibration and sound
- Inspect the elements of the filter
- Document the condition of the gear
The fact is, overheating can even occur in the best maintained machines, which is why you need to take the time to inspect it regularly.
Some steps to take to ensure that you find out all that is needed about the gearbox include inspecting the breather and the shaft seals and inspecting the structural interfaces. When you do this, you will be able to find an issue and have it repaired or fixed in a timely manner. If you are not comfortable doing this inspection yourself, then it is essential to contact a third party who can do this. Taking the time to do this will help ensure that the gearbox is working properly and that no issues will develop down the road.
Visit us online to know more about Artec Machine Systems services.